My Own Experience: One Successful Project (Documentation)
1. Ensure that you are fully dedicated (or have sufficient bandwidth) for the project.
2. Work hard to collect documentation - related and unrelated ! Talk to friends about the project, gather experiences
3. Understand clearly what customer wants, capture the details
4. Don't take a previous project template, instead create a new one
5. Put together the required project documentation
6. Add Pictures, flow diagrams to the project documentation - create them your own
7. Review first draft with the customer and get review comments (well ahead of delivery date, say, a week before)
8. Incorporate customer comments and deliver on the delivery date
9. Got a happy customer !